Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A refreshed superspy

It's pretty interesting how one day can suck very badly followed by a glorious one. I felt pretty down on Monday, one reason because it was Monday, another because I've been in GYN clinic for the past week and I'm tired of moody residents/physican assistants throwing me attitude because I don't know the system cold. Further, I am tired of females with vaginal infections, I'm tired of doing pap smears on them, I'm tired of dumb questions ("So like I never used condoms or anything, and I'm having sex with two guys, and I just started with this other guy- am I gonna be ok?").

In this situation, I have a million amusing responses going through my brain while I know I must respond in a professional, informative manner. Patient education is a real thing, a lot of people out there are NOT well informed- why that is, that's there business/social issue.

I got off on a tangent. I described why Monday sucked, now I'll get into today-

I get up like usual, go to the hospital, find out clinic is closed halfway through morning report. It's bitter sweet: I'm pissed no one informed the students ahead of time (it's expected), but I'm fantasizing about my day off at the same time. But do I have the day off? Will the attendings be pricks and make us stick around to do scut work? So much is riding on this, and I pray the attendings will not care about us as usual.

Morning report ends, I see the anticipation in the other few GYN students' eyes, everyone files out of the conference room, and we're standing around on the labor and delivery floor while others go where they're supposed to. I don't waste time. I quickly glance around to see if any attendings have me in their sights........... I look at the large swinging doors, behind it my freedom, and before I know it, I'm rushing down the stairs. I quickly pace to the locker room on five, grab my shit so fast I'm surprised I picked the right coat, find the closest stairwell again (taking the elevator is out of the question, you're bound to run into a physician on your service), and I hit the first floor lobby-

Shit. This can be tricky. A lot of random people going this way and that. I made it down here only minutes after morning report, everyone looked busy, so I doubt anyone I fear running into will be here. Here I go-

I walk quickly, head down, don't look up, oh man, the main doors, once I'm past those, I'm home free, almost there....FUCKING A right!!! The very unpleasant wind chill factor hits my face, I smile, and I'm one block away from the subway.

I felt so good about what I did I became giddy - I felt like a superspy, cunningly escaping the enemy's fortress, the Bond theme begins to play in my head as I stroll down the street. Freedom.

So I got back to my place, made a few imperative school related phone calls, took a glorious nap, went to the gym, I read, and now I'm typing, completely refreshed. Was this destiny? Was I due for a nice little break after yesterday's pinnacle of shittiness? I don't know, I just think it's funny. Sometimes when I can't take much more of one thing in life, a favorable turn of events occurs. Sometimes, not always, but I'll certainly take that.

So I hope you enjoyed this short story. Small things like a Women's Health clinic closing for one day due to a Nursing in service day can mean a lot to some people. I should embrace these things in life more often.

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger chad was marco said...

hahaha that was great. i actually put my hand up over the screen so i wouldn't find out early if you got the day off or not. (my eyes never seem to be able to refrain from glancing at last sentences of books or future paragraphs when what i'm reading is exciting)

i'm glad i forgot your first sentence of the post because i really kept thinking you were going to get screwed.

more please

 

Post a Comment

<< Home